Topic :: Piston

Piston Interview Questions
Questions Answers Views Company eMail

what is the metal of piston ring

MahaGenco,

5 5630

in engine when the engine stops are the pistons were stopped in between or they complete the process.

Honda,

6 12471

what is metal of piston ring

MahaGenco,

what is materal used for piston in IC engine& why?

NTPC, ONGC,

16 18119

the avg piston speed of an internal combution engine increases as cylinder dimension decreases justify?

L&T,

5 9066

which kind of force act when the piston slides inside the cylinder?and how to calculate that force or stress theoritically.

4 4940

what is the use of piston rings in the engine used for a generator...........

Upper piston ring is compression ring?

BEL,

8 8425

Name the parts of piston through connecting rod?

1 3535

What are the symptoms of broke piston ring?

2 4082

What do you call a piston travel from TDC to BDC?

4 5099

What is the purpose of piston rings?

7 10241

What is the trunk type and crosshead type piston

Honda,

1 11711

What is the volume develop by the piston from BDC to TDC

3 4445

When you will install a new piston ring, what will be the position of it?

4 4681

Related Topics

Un-Answered Questions { Piston }

1)what to do in emergency situation of having total blackout (on a ship) 2)what to do in emergency situation of flooding in the engine room 3)under what conditions would engine room bilges be pumped overboard? 4)why is high pressure required for the injection of fuel into the cylinder of diesel engine. 5)why is doubled walled pipes employed for high pressure fuel lines? 6)reasons for overheating of main engine 7)how to detect choked fuel valve,leaky piston rings and their remedies during operation in diesel engine? 8)effects of insufficient or excessive cylinder lubrication? 9)causes of a diesel engine piston overheating.

what is metal of piston ring

1. What happens when too much cylinder oil is injected in the working cylinder? 2. Is the unit and normal value fuel ratio of an average diesel engine? 3. What is the formula for 1 HP of a two-cycle engine? 4. Name the indicator diagram. 5. What are the 3 parts in indicator diagram? 6. What are the causes of damage of diesel engine exhaust Valve? 7. What are the causes of I.O. high temperature in a diesel engine? 8. What trouble could result if the main engine is using a low grade of fuel? 9. What are the causes of liner high temperature? 10. What happen when too much cylinder oil is injected in the working cylinder? 11. How many lubricating holes are there in cylinder? 12. What are the defects in exhaust valve? 13. How do you control cylinder liner wear? 14. How much is the specific fuel consumption of an average diesel engine? 15. Purpose of lubricator in a large diesel engine. 16. Explain how the cylinder lubrication on main engine is done? 17. Explain the function of cooling water expansion tank. 18. Explain the causes of the exhaust valve leakage. 19. What is the purpose of I.O. circulation before and after starting of engine? 20. Names the valve connected in cylinder head of the engine. 21. Name the safety devices of diesel engine? 22. What is injection tag? 23. Explain how to measure crank web deflection? 24. In a 4 cycle engine the intake valve begins to open at? 25. What causes cylinder liner-wear down? 26. What causes diesel engine to automatically stop? 27. What causes crankcase explosion? 28. What do you call the clearing of air inside cylinder after combustion? 29. What is the circulation of I.O. pump of diesel engine? 30. What causes diesel engine trouble when using heavy oil? 31. What causes turbocharger surging? 32. What pressure is highest L.O. Gravity Head or S.W. of the stern tube circulation 33. What is fuel catalytic cracking 34. Contaminants of fuel oil 35. Crankcase oil mist detector 36. Inspection for intermediate shaft bearing. 37. What are the causes of main engine black smoke? 38. Causes of emergency trip of diesel engine 39. What are the causes if one cylinder in a diesel engine has a high temperature? 40. Explain how the lubricating oil circulates in a diesel engine. 41. What are the causes of damage to propellers? 42. What causes friction in the cylinder? 43. What causes damage to impellers? 44. In a four-stroke diesel engine, In what engine exhaust valve will open? 45. How is propeller fitted in shaft? 46. What valves are fitted in a four-stroke diesel engine? 47. What are the automatic tripping devices of diesel generator? 48. What is the purpose of thrust bearing? 49. What is fuel oil viscosity, specific gravity? 50. What are the causes of low compression in the main engine? 51. What do you measure in the banana and mountain diagram? 52. What is a brake horse power? 53. What are the requirements of a good fuel? 54. What is the purpose of a setting tank? 55. What is the purpose of a turning gear? 56. What is the purpose of starting air? 57. What is the purpose of engine preheating? 58. What is the purpose of air blow? 59. What is the purpose of stern tube? 60. Where can you find thermometers in diesel engines? 61. What would happen if there is air in fuel oil? 62. What type of pump is lubricator pump? 63. What is the purpose of piston rings? 64. The advantage of a controllable pitch propeller? 65. Explain the fresh water cooling system. 66. What are the typical indicator diagrams? 67. What is the trunk type and crosshead type piston 68. What is higher IMP or BHR 69. What is the sensitive part of the liner 70. Discuss how to prepare the M/E in the standby condition 71. Explain how to clean LO 72. Explain the principle of Suizer Fuel oil injection pump 73. What is the volume develop by the piston from BDC to TDC 74. Enumerate some trouble of fuel injection valve 75. Causes of M/E high exhaust valve temperature 76. What is the purpose of scrapper ring 77. What are the items to inspect after cylinder liner is pulled out 78. What resistance the ship encounter when the vessel is at sea 79. What will you do in case of scavenging fire 80. Draw the flow of F.O. diagram from service tank to Main Engine? 81. What are the types of cleaning main engine Turbo Charger blower side? 82. What are the causes of main engine Turbo Charger blower side dirty? 83. Sketch the jacket cooling system? 84. What will cause if you run your engine in critical RPM continuously? 85. What are the properties of fuel oil? 86. What will you check if one cylinder of your engine is not like the others? 87. What do you do when in your duty, ME alarm oil mist detect high density? 88. Classification of bunkers? 89. What is the purpose of increasing the pressure on the F.O. system of the engine? 90. What are the advantages of white metal? 91. What is the use of white metal? 92. What is the cause of cylindrical liner overheating? 93. What are you going to inspect or check when you open the crankcase? 94. Draw L.O. system in diesel engine? 95. What is the specific gravity of F.O. and D.O? 96. What is pour point? 97. What is flashpoint? 98. What materials are used for engine propeller? 99. How fuel oil consumed by medium engine? 100. What is the remedy if due exchanging, valve broke out during engine running operation? 101. At 50 Centigrade (Fuel oil) what is its cast? 102. At 50 Centigrade (Diesel oil) what is its cast? 103. What do you call a piston travel from TDC to BDC? 104. What happened if the exhaust valve is leaking? 105. Why and what cause of leak fuel oil in high pressure pipe of main engine? 106. What device installed in the F.O. system when excess oil return to drain tank? 107. What parameters to be reported when we send lubricating oil for shore analysis? 108. Heavy fuel oil sulfur content and counter measures? 109. What will happen when engine stays in critical speed of 58-65 RPM? 110. What are the causes of L.O. high temperature? 111. How do you detect starting valve leaks? 112. What are the causes of dirty lubricating oil? 113. Identify the parts of indicator diagram? 114. What are the symptoms of broke piston ring? 115. How much pressure on air reservoir? 116. Name the parts of piston through connecting rod? 117. What are the causes of positive and negative propeller slip? 118. What will be the cause of scavenging fire? 119. What will you do when scavenge fire happened? 120. What do you going to observe, when a diesel engine is running? 121. Where is the expansion tank located? 122. How the F.W.C. system of diesel engine circulate? 123. What is mean effective press? 124. Draw a crankshaft and show the parts? 125. What is the lower part of connecting rod? 126. What should you do before you start the engine? 127. When you will install a new piston ring, what will be the position of it? 128. What is max pressure? 129. What are the things to do when approaching the port? 130. What will be the cause of the loose compression in a cylinder? 131. What is the maximum P-max for a cylinder in M/E. 132. What is the indication of leaking starting valve of an engine? 133. What is the thermal efficiency of a diesel engine? 134. What will be the cause of high temperature in one cylinder of D/E?

what are the parameters are selected while manufacturing a single cylinder block?what are the different kind of test is conducted on it so that it can withstand with all those condition which required to run the engine efficiently.which force is act when piston slide inside the cylinder.

what are the parameters are selected while manufacturing a single cylinder block?what are the different kind of test is conducted on it so that it can withstand with all those condition which required to run the engine efficiently.which force is act when piston slide inside the cylinder.

what is the use of piston rings in the engine used for a generator...........

In Turbine how the balence piston works and what is the direction of leak of steam flow.

What is the trunk type and crosshead type piston

"When you will install a new piston ring, what will be the position of it?"

the avg piston speed of an internal combution engine increases as cylinder dimension decreases justify?

The system shown in the figure is in equilibrium. The metal spheres are identical and each has a mass of 2 kg. The surface areas of the pistons are equal and 100 square centimeters each. The density of water is 1 g per cubic centimeter. Assuming that the frictions and masses of the pistons are negligible, what is the mass of G? ( g = 10N/kg )

I qualified the written exam conducted by BARC and attended the interview. First let me tell you that this is the most genuine and toughest interview among all the PSUs. This is the best interview methodology that they adopt. They just ask for very basic questions of Intermediate (12th) level and want to check the basic understanding. Almost all the questions are practical questions no direct relation with the knowledge of core technical. In this way they look for the way you approach to solve a problem. Because the post they offer you is scientific officers’ post. This is a research oriented job that requires the great skills and knowledge to solve a real practical problem. So, this was a basic idea about the interview. Now let's talk about the methodology, actually they ask you 4-5 subjects in which you are more comfortable and ask the basic questions. But keep in mind that you are really comfortable with those subjects and you should be thoroughly prepared. Because they will try to divert you from your answer and will drill on topic till you surrender. But anyway you don't worry even if you are not able to solve a problem for whole but the way you approach and the basic concepts should be correct. They are generally the minimum time for interview is more than 45 minutes. Even the person they know will not be qualified; they drill him at least for 45 minutes. As the interview timing cross more than 45-60 minutes, your chance goes on increasing to get selected. Finally If they are satisfied with your performance then they give you a medical slip that insures your eligibility fir the interview. Final Result depends on the no. of posts and the merit list prepared on the basis of marks you achieved in written and interview. I wish you all the best for your interview. It is well known that hard work and the luck both are that major factor that plays important roles in every exam. Your Luck also plays an important role that by which panel you are going to be interviewed. During my interview I was a victim of bad luck so I could not qualified the interview. I had heard that the panel members being very helpful they bring you out of the pressure if you feel during the interview but this was not true in my case. Anyways, I entered in the room, there were 5 members. The committee chairman asked me about my hometown. The whole conversation was in Hindi, so the people who are from Hindi background they don't need to be afraid of this problem in PSU interviews. Then he asked me "Is it your first interview or you have gone through any other interview?", Me: "Sir this is my first interview". This normal conversation is just to make you feel good and to make you comfortable. Chairman: So you have done your B.Tech from IIIT? Me: Yes Sir. Suddenly another person interrupted as he was looking at my cv, he told to the chairman that I got first Prize in solid modeling Contest. This was a curse for me for that interview. Chairman: So you got first prize in Modeling? Me: Yes sir. Chairman: What is Computer Aided Design? Me: I told. Chairman: You have been taught the Finite Element Methods course? Me: Yes sir. Chairman: Can you do the analysis of a cylindrical pressure vessel? Me: No sir, actually we just learnt the analysis of one dimensional objects. Chairman: But you know the basics of analysis steps? Me: Yes sir. Chairman: What will be the first step? Me: We will take the symmetry and will not require going through the analysis of whole section. Chairman: Draw the element of symmetry? Me: I drawn. Chairman: Next step? Me: Boundary conditions and Forces. Chairman: What will be the boundary conditions, forces etc.....? I could not give the answers, and the trials were wrong and I was totally confused. but he rammed me a lot and wasted almost 10 minutes. It was a bad impression that lead me through the darkness. Then he asked me to put the name of subjects I studied in B.Tech as our curriculum is different from other colleges curriculum, It has major emphasize on Design. So under pressure I was not able to recall the subjects. I started to recall them and listed on the paper but didn't minded to put them in the order I prepared. Actually I prepared Material science, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer and Micro Metal Forming (for the fabrication of MEMS devices, a recent topic). So they just started asking the questions randomly from the subjects they got in that list. After a sometime chairman asked me about the subjects I am comfortable. I told and given the preference to Micro-Metal Forming that was a new topic for him and he decided to get out of the topic and asked about the issues when we go through the micro forming. I told that as we go from macro size to micro, the strength, isotropic behavior and surface roughness changes and affect a lot. Then he asked how surface roughness comes into picture? Me: As material thickness approaches towards micro size, the no. of grain boundaries becomes fewer and grain boundaries sizes are in the order of microns so the very early surface has a lot of deviations that comes in picture. Then he asked: What is inside the space between two grain boundaries; Gas or Vacuum? Me: Sir Vacuum. He Said: You are wrong, go and refer the books. and in this way he came out of the topic that he was trying for. So, I will suggest you not to give any new topic as the persons taking interview may or may not be comfortable with that and it may be a curse to you. In Thermo….. he asked He: there is a cylinder-piston system that contains a gas, a weight W is kept on piston what will be the pressure? Me: Sir W/(g*A)---A: area, g: gravity (It was wrong actually I was in such a pressure that to calculate the pressure I was using the formula M/A) Then another person asked me about "g", why I am using it ? I confidently said: sir to get the mass from weight He knew that I am confused so he asked me to derive it's dimension I derived then he asked me to derive the dimension of force by area and he asked me to compare, and I found my mistake. I said sorry and then He: I am giving it "Q" all the boundaries are insulated so that no heat goes outside, calculate it's final volume? Me: I was confused and was asking about a lot of irrelevant information needed to solve. He: This is all I told you now calculate the volume...no other information. I could not derive it. Then......Fluid: He: I am having an wedge shaped vessel (triangular shaped) I want to know the water level at different places, what will be the levels of water at different tubes? Me: Same level in every tube. He: why? Me: because of fluids property...pressure at a level is same at every point So the height raised will compensate for it. He: ok so, pressure is constant at all the points in same level but different at different levels? Me: Yes sir. He: So if I make two holes at different levels and fit a tube at outside from the vessel then water will flow? Me: yes sir. He: If I place a turbine in between the pipe then will the electricity produced? Me: No. He: why? Me: because water will flow once only. He: but pressure difference is continuously acting at two different levels? Me: as once water flows and the section gets filled pressure at the same level in vessel and pipe will be same, So no way it will flow again. This was a section where I was somewhat comfortable and answered correctly. SOM: Shear stresses, how shear stress comes ....Is bending stress and shear stress same and a lot....they make me totally confused. Mohr's Circle related questions. That I replied correctly. As you know that I am from Department of Mechanical Engineering. I qualified the written exam conducted by BARC and attended the interview. First let me tell you that this is the most genuine and toughest interview among all the PSUs. This is the best interview methodology that they adopt. They just ask for very basic questions of Intermediate (12th) level and want to check the basic understanding. Almost all the questions are practical questions no direct relation with the knowledge of core technical. In this way they look for the way you approach to solve a problem. Because the post they offer you is scientific officers’ post. This is a research oriented job that requires the great skills and knowledge to solve a real practical problem. So, this was a basic idea about the interview. Now let's talk about the methodology, actually they ask you 4-5 subjects in which you are more comfortable and ask the basic questions. But keep in mind that you are really comfortable with those subjects and you should be thoroughly prepared. Because they will try to divert you from your answer and will drill on topic till you surrender. But anyway you don't worry even if you are not able to solve a problem for whole but the way you approach and the basic concepts should be correct. They are generally the minimum time for interview is more than 45 minutes. Even the person they know will not be qualified; they drill him at least for 45 minutes. As the interview timing cross more than 45-60 minutes, your chance goes on increasing to get selected. Finally If they are satisfied with your performance then they give you a medical slip that insures your eligibility fir the interview. Final Result depends on the no. of posts and the merit list prepared on the basis of marks you achieved in written and interview. I wish you all the best for your interview. It is well known that hard work and the luck both are that major factor that plays important roles in every exam. Your Luck also plays an important role that by which panel you are going to be interviewed. During my interview I was a victim of bad luck so I could not qualified the interview. I had heard that the panel members being very helpful they bring you out of the pressure if you feel during the interview but this was not true in my case. Anyways, I entered in the room, there were 5 members. The committee chairman asked me about my hometown. The whole conversation was in Hindi, so the people who are from Hindi background they don't need to be afraid of this problem in PSU interviews. Then he asked me "Is it your first interview or you have gone through any other interview?", Me: "Sir this is my first interview". This normal conversation is just to make you feel good and to make you comfortable. Chairman: So you have done your B.Tech from IIIT? Me: Yes Sir. Suddenly another person interrupted as he was looking at my cv, he told to the chairman that I got first Prize in solid modeling Contest. This was a curse for me for that interview. Chairman: So you got first prize in Modeling? Me: Yes sir. Chairman: What is Computer Aided Design? Me: I told. Chairman: You have been taught the Finite Element Methods course? Me: Yes sir. Chairman: Can you do the analysis of a cylindrical pressure vessel? Me: No sir, actually we just learnt the analysis of one dimensional objects. Chairman: But you know the basics of analysis steps? Me: Yes sir. Chairman: What will be the first step? Me: We will take the symmetry and will not require going through the analysis of whole section. Chairman: Draw the element of symmetry? Me: I drawn. Chairman: Next step? Me: Boundary conditions and Forces. Chairman: What will be the boundary conditions, forces etc.....? I could not give the answers, and the trials were wrong and I was totally confused. but he rammed me a lot and wasted almost 10 minutes. It was a bad impression that lead me through the darkness. Then he asked me to put the name of subjects I studied in B.Tech as our curriculum is different from other colleges curriculum, It has major emphasize on Design. So under pressure I was not able to recall the subjects. I started to recall them and listed on the paper but didn't minded to put them in the order I prepared. Actually I prepared Material science, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer and Micro Metal Forming (for the fabrication of MEMS devices, a recent topic). So they just started asking the questions randomly from the subjects they got in that list. After a sometime chairman asked me about the subjects I am comfortable. I told and given the preference to Micro-Metal Forming that was a new topic for him and he decided to get out of the topic and asked about the issues when we go through the micro forming. I told that as we go from macro size to micro, the strength, isotropic behavior and surface roughness changes and affect a lot. Then he asked how surface roughness comes into picture? Me: As material thickness approaches towards micro size, the no. of grain boundaries becomes fewer and grain boundaries sizes are in the order of microns so the very early surface has a lot of deviations that comes in picture. Then he asked: What is inside the space between two grain boundaries; Gas or Vacuum? Me: Sir Vacuum. He Said: You are wrong, go and refer the books. and in this way he came out of the topic that he was trying for. So, I will suggest you not to give any new topic as the persons taking interview may or may not be comfortable with that and it may be a curse to you. In Thermo….. he asked He: there is a cylinder-piston system that contains a gas, a weight W is kept on piston what will be the pressure? Me: Sir W/(g*A)---A: area, g: gravity (It was wrong actually I was in such a pressure that to calculate the pressure I was using the formula M/A) Then another person asked me about "g", why I am using it ? I confidently said: sir to get the mass from weight He knew that I am confused so he asked me to derive it's dimension I derived then he asked me to derive the dimension of force by area and he asked me to compare, and I found my mistake. I said sorry and then He: I am giving it "Q" all the boundaries are insulated so that no heat goes outside, calculate it's final volume? Me: I was confused and was asking about a lot of irrelevant information needed to solve. He: This is all I told you now calculate the volume...no other information. I could not derive it. Then......Fluid: He: I am having an wedge shaped vessel (triangular shaped) I want to know the water level at different places, what will be the levels of water at different tubes? Me: Same level in every tube. He: why? Me: because of fluids property...pressure at a level is same at every point So the height raised will compensate for it. He: ok so, pressure is constant at all the points in same level but different at different levels? Me: Yes sir. He: So if I make two holes at different levels and fit a tube at outside from the vessel then water will flow? Me: yes sir. He: If I place a turbine in between the pipe then will the electricity produced? Me: No. He: why? Me: because water will flow once only. He: but pressure difference is continuously acting at two different levels? Me: as once water flows and the section gets filled pressure at the same level in vessel and pipe will be same, So no way it will flow again. This was a section where I was somewhat comfortable and answered correctly. SOM: Shear stresses, how shear stress comes ....Is bending stress and shear stress same and a lot....they make me totally confused. Mohr's Circle related questions. That I replied correctly.

What are the disadvantages of axial flow (piston type) automatic control valve compared to the conventional types (globe or diaphragm) If you are a designer/specifier, do you accept this type of valve for using in building's piping systems ?