4 thieves rob a bakery of the breadone after the other.each
thief takes half of what is present ,& half a bread...if
at the end 3 bread remains,what is the no of bread that
was present initially?

Answers were Sorted based on User's Feedback

4 thieves rob a bakery of the breadone after the other.each thief takes half of what is present ,&..

Answer / karthik kingh

63 is the right answer..
here is the clear blueprint for it!!!

let : total = X
1st person takes : p1 = (X/2) + (1/2) = Let it be A
2nd person takes : p2 = (X-A)/2 + (1/2) = Let it be B
3rd person takes : p3 = (X-B)/2 + (1/2) = Let it be C
4th person takes : p4 = (X-C)/2 + (1/2) = Let it be D

Now D = 3. (remain bread)
from 4th equation.., = (X-C)/2 + (1/2) = D = 3
substitute C from 3rd eqn., B from 2nd eqn., A from 1st eqn.. and ...WALLA... get ur answer as 63.

Example :
Out of 63,
Net Total = 63
1st person takes 31.5 and 0.5
Net Total = 31
2nd person takes 15.5 and 0.5
Net Total = 15
3rd person takes 7.5 and 0.5
Net Total = 7
4th person takes 3.5 and 0.5
Net Total = 3
which is the remaining bread..
(0.5 means 'half a bred')

Is This Answer Correct ?    2 Yes 1 No

4 thieves rob a bakery of the breadone after the other.each thief takes half of what is present ,&..

Answer / resh

it will be 63

procedure:

let initially der are x breads

1st thief takes=x/2 +1/2 ,so remaining=x-(x/2+1/2)=x/2-1/2

2nd thief takes=1/2+1/2*(x/2-1/2)=1/2+x/4-1/4=x/4+1/4 so remain=x/2-1/2-x/4-1/4=x/4-3/4

3rd thief takes=1/2 +1/2*(x/4-3/4)=1/2+x/8-3/8=x/8+1/8 so remain=x/4-3/4-x/8-1/8=x/8-7/8

4th thief takes=1/2+1/2*(x/8-7/8)=1/2+x/16-7/16=x/16+1/16 so remain=x/8-7/8-x/16-1/16=x/16-15/16

so x/16-15/16=3

x=48+15=63(ans)

(not solved by me but got it from another site)

Is This Answer Correct ?    1 Yes 0 No

Answer / surya teja challapalli

Gourab what u have understand the question and what's ur
logic,explain once.. I'l analyze ur answer

Neel u can also try if u can..

Is This Answer Correct ?    1 Yes 1 No

Answer / surya teja challapalli

Mr.Amuthan plz explain your logic,I didn't understand how
did you get answer 63.

Is This Answer Correct ?    3 Yes 4 No

Answer / nicolas

3*(2^4)=48 it's simply!!

Is This Answer Correct ?    1 Yes 3 No

Answer / abida hasan

soln:
no of breads initially=x
breads taken by first thief= x/2+1/2=(x+1)/2
remaining breads= x-((x+1)/2)=(x-1)/2
breads taken by second theif= ((x-1)/4)+1/2=(x+1)/4
remaining breads= x-((x+1)/4)=(x-1)/4
similarly,
remaining bread after third theif rob=(x-1)/8
remaining bread after forth theif rob=(x-1)/16
therefore,
(x-1)/16=3
x-1=48
x=49

Is This Answer Correct ?    2 Yes 9 No

Post New Answer

More General Aptitude Interview Questions

what is your favourte color n why

18 Answers   TCS,

Two trains are traveling in 60 kmph on same trace, towards each other. When the distance between them is 18 km, a fly is going to start, flying between them in 80 kmph speed. Find the traveling path distance of the fly upto when it is going to crush by the 2 trains?

0 Answers   Accenture,

Sir / madam, My question is In selling an article for Rs.76, there is profit of 52%. If it is sold for Rs.75 the profit percent will be a. 44 b. 46 c. 48 d. 50 Advance Thanks, R.Rengaraj {SCE 12/2008/Pg 2 of 85} {On this forum my 1st Question.}

4 Answers   HCL,

pls send me ford's aptitude,technical and HR questions to my id pavim88@gmail.com,its very urgent

1 Answers  

A man ate 100 bananas in five days, each day eating 6 more than the previous day. How many bananas did he eat on the first day?

0 Answers   iNautix, Wipro,

three clocks where set to true time .First run with the exact time ..second slows one minute/day. third gains one minute/day. after how many days they will show true time.

0 Answers   Infosys,

A cube is coloured red on one face,green on the opposite face,yellow on the another face and blue on a face adjecent to yellow face. The other two faces are left uncoloured. it is then cut into 125 smaller cubes of equal size. Q-1: How many Cubes are coloured blue on one faces,red or green on another face and have four uncoloured faces? Q-2: How many cubes are coloured red on one face,and have the remaining faces uncoloured?

5 Answers   AJ, Dunnhumby, Satyam, SSB,

The difference between two numbers is 1365. When you divide the larger number with the smaller number the quotient is 6 and remainder is 15. What is the smaller number?

0 Answers   Canara Bank,

sir, i need help in preparing the exam .so, please help me by sending some question papers to my mail address neela_david@rediffmail.com

1 Answers   Banking, Central Bank of India,

Brown, Jones and Smith are a doctor, a lawyer, and a teacher. The teacher, who is an only child, earns the least money. Smith, who married Brown's sister, earns more than the lawyer. What is each man's job?

3 Answers   Capita,

Plz send me SBI PB and clerical Questions Papers

0 Answers   State Bank Of India SBI,

Perimeter of the back whell = 9 feet, front wheel = 7 feet on a certain distance the front wheel gets 10 revolutions more than back wheel . what is the distance?

0 Answers   Accenture,

Categories